This summary of Lodge No. 43 was made by Brother John W. W. Loose, Editor, Historian, and Leader Emeritus from the Lancaster County Historic Society. Lodge No. 43 is honored to possess Siblings John Loose and Richard Mason as people. Brother Mason spent numerous hrs tracing through lodge records in the 1700’s. A made clear presentation series is damaged into 10 years of Lodge No. 43’s history. Each decade was given to the people, beginning in the The month of january 2007 Mentioned Meeting. Brother Mason would be to complete his series this year around our 225th anniversary.
There is Masonic activity in Lancaster County as soon as 1734, 3 years after Bro. James Hamilton organized the city of Lancaster. The founding father of Lancaster was elevated in St. John’s Lodge No. one in Philadelphia in 1734, as well as in 1737 he was chosen Right Worshipful Grand Master from the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania (Moderns). Hamilton offered within the Pennsylvania Set up from Lancaster County (1734-1739). In individuals days England had two Grand Lodges, the Moderns and also the Ancients. The “Moderns” had their starting in Pennsylvania in 1727, and also the “Ancients” in 1758. Throughout the newest War, the “Moderns” appeared unwilling to become separate from England, as the “Ancients” not just supported the Revolution with excitement, but organized numerous Lodges of patriots. Many American military officials became a member of military lodges as did Lancaster’s General Edward Hands.
In 1786, twelve months after Lodge No. 43 was constituted and warranted, the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania grew to become in addition to the British Grand Lodges. In 1734 the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania purchased Benjamin Franklin to transmit copies from the “Constitutions” to Bros. John Catherwood and John Reynolds of Lancaster County for his or her use within creating local Lodges. Wilton Atkinson of Lancaster was elevated (grew to become an expert Mason) in 1766 at Lodge No. 2 in Philadelphia so he could get a warrant for any Lodge to become locked in Lancaster.
The very first Lodge was designated Lodge No. 9, and it was warranted and constituted sometime between June 24, 1766 and August 17, 1768. Who individuals early Masons were, we are able to only speculate because individuals records were lost. We all do know that they are active patriots since the Lodge was “darkened” throughout the Revolution. The majority of the people serving within the American forces triggered Lodge No. 9’s warrant to become surrendered in 1779.
Among the people of Lodge No. 9 in Lancaster was Captain Stephen Chambers, a lawyer. Following the war, Bro. Chambers gone to live in Sunbury where he guaranteed a warrant for Lodge No. 22 for the reason that town. Following a year in Sunbury, he came back to Lancaster, as well as in 1785 grew to become a charter person in Lodge No. 43. He was chosen its first Worshipful Master, serving within the East from September 14, 1785 to June 24, 1787.
Other charter people of Lodge No. 43 incorporated Major John Doyle, gunsmith and innkeeper, and active person in St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Chapel Solomon Etting, Indian trader and merchant Henry Dering, burgess, legislator, innkeeper Lt. Col. Adam Hubley, Junior., legislator and Lt. William Feltman, innkeeper. Lodge No. 43 met in local public houses (hotels) throughout the 1700s. In 1798 the Lodge arranged using the Borough of Lancaster to erect a lodge hall within the public market the borough planned to construct along West King Street next to Market Square. While construction was happening, the Pennsylvania condition government gone to live in Lancaster, and required within the new county business building (“Old City Hall”), the County Courthouse in the heart of Penn Square, and leased space within the intended Lodge Hall, Throughout the 1790s the Lodge membership increased quickly. They could occupy the brand new Lodge Hall in 1808, and conferences were held for the reason that structure until 1973. Lodge No. 43 gone to live in greatly broadened facilities within the Masonic Center of Lancaster County, 213 West Chestnut Street. The initial Lodge building was broadened throughout the 1800s by obtaining adjacent structures. The initial Lodge now houses the Heritage Center Museum. The condition government continued to be in Lancaster from 1799 to 1812 throughout which period probably the most influential political leaders were elevated or attended Lodge No. 43, among whom were John Bannister Gibson, later to get R.W. Grand Master (1824) and Chief Justice from the Pennsylvania Top Court (1838-1851).
Other distinguished lawyers elevated in Lodge No. 43 were James Buchanan (elevated in 1817 Worshipful Master 1822-1823 U.S. Leader 1857-1861), George B. Porter Molton C. Rogers (Justice, Pennsylvania Top Court) Charles Cruz (Leader Judge, ninth Judicial District) Jasper Slaymaker and Ebenezer Wright. From 1828 to 1843 the Anti-Mason Party prospered.
The Democratic Party was without any significant opposition at this time around, so individuals in opposition to Bro. Andrew Jackson’s administration created a political party to oppose secret communities among other matters. The prosperity of this anti-Democratic movement triggered all lodges in Lancaster County except Lodge No. 43 and Lodge No. 156 (Quarryville) to shut. Leaders from the Anti-Masonic Party condemned Masons since several of these held high positions. The moment the brand new Whig Party acquired enough support to win elections, the Anti-Masonic Party progressively disappeared.